Substance abuse costs US employers $81 billion annually.1
No business is immune to the problems of workplace drug and alcohol abuse. The National Drug-Free Workplace Alliance reports that marijuana is the most commonly abused drug in the workplace, followed by cocaine. Testing your employees can help prevent and detect workplace drug abuse.
The following websites are suggested resources for statistics and information regarding drug-free workplace:
- National Drug Free Workplace Alliance
- Institute for a Drug Free Workplace
- NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Drug Facts: Office of National Drug Control Policy
- The Partnership for a Drug Free America
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Statistics Sourcebook. Substance Abuse and Mental HealthServices Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Rockville, MD. 1995:3.